Monday, March 25, 2013

Three Miles After Breakfast

On Saturday morning, my husband had to go out with the Boy Scouts Troop and collect food for a local food bank.  He came home at around 9 am, so I was ready to get up and go running.  My husband then announced that he wasn't done yet, and had to go back, and would be home around 10:30 am.

I was already hungry by this time.  I figured I would be starving by 10:30 and running while starving would not be too conducive to the run.  Therefore, I decided to make myself an egg and turkey bagel w/ hummus.  I also made some eggs for my children.  Eggs have quickly been becoming a favorite around here.  It is a tasty, cost-effective protein :)

My husband was 30 minutes off when he gave me his estimate on returning home.  He got home much closer to 10 am, than to 10:30 am.  I like to get my runs done as soon as possible.  I don't like to give myself time to talk myself out of going for a run.  When he arrived home, I went upstairs and changed into some running clothes.  It was a bit cooler than it had been on recent runs, so I put on a jacket, my ear warmers and some mittens.  I told my husband I would be home in about 40 minutes.

As soon as I stepped out of the front door, I turned on my stopwatch and off I went.  I was feeling really good.  I love getting my run done in the morning.  It frees up the rest of my day to do whatever it is that I feel like doing.  As I ran, I enjoyed the brisk cold air.  I was very happy that I had on my mittens and ear warmers.  I wouldn't have enjoyed it so much without them.  I am not a fan of being cold.

I continued my run to Center Street.  There is a small incline as you run up Center Street.  You wouldn't notice it if you are driving, but it is definitely there.  The further I ran on Center Street, the more dogs I would hear barking.  I am so thankful for fenced-in dogs.  I ran past a Yellow Lab on one side of the street.  A little further down, there was a Golden Retriever and a Rottweiler, fenced-in together.  I have a fear of Rottweilers.  My parents' dog, Duke, was attacked by one, while I was walking him.  The Rottweiler just tossed him around like he was a rag doll.

Once I turned the corner onto another street, I was thankful.  This street was a bit more quiet.  It was on this street that I could tell that it might have been a good idea to let my food settle a little longer.  I started to realize that this breakfast was too heavy to eat before a run.  Oh well, what could I do when I was halfway through the run.  I just kept going.

I reached the halfway point and turned around.  A little bit passed the halfway point, on my way back home, I decided I should take off my jacket.  I felt like it had warmed up.  I know I had warmed up by that point.  I wrapped the jacket around my waste and kept on going.  By the time I reached Center Street again, I had wished that I was a nudist, because I was really hot.  I would have been happy stripping everything off and continuing my run.  I wouldn't have really considered stripping, but I really was hot.

By the time I reached mile three, I was very happy.  It meant I was home.  It meant that, although I had ran too soon after eating, I didn't throw up.  I ran up my driveway, turned off my stopwatch and stepped into the house. I finished my run in 35:39.26.  I announced that someone would be coming to the door soon and went and took off my mittens and my ear warmers.  The doorbell rang and someone was inviting the children to an Easter Egg Hunt this next weekend.

It is always wonderful to get home after a run!  I had a Klondike Bar and was ready for the rest of my day :)  Oh, and as far as the Boy Scout Food Collection, my husband reported that was successful as well!

1 comment:

  1. That is a great sounding run! I was expecting that maybe one of the dogs escaped their fence to help you break your PR. Eggs are yummy, hummus is yummy, but are the two yummy together?