Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Five Miles That Nearly Didn't Happen

Tonight I had to do five miles.  We all got ready and headed out of the house around 8:15 pm.   I had locked my purse in the trunk of my husband's car, but we ended up taking the van since everyone wanted to go.  I went and got my purse out and found my watch.  That was a really good find.  It would have been better if I had remembered to turn on the stopwatch and lap timer.  Oh well, maybe next time.

I brought my toddler in a tank top and pants.  I didn't put her socks and shoes on her, because I planned to push her in the jogging stroller the whole time.  When we got to the park, I discovered that one of the jogger's tires were flat.  I ran over some goat heads yesterday.  They are like a three-pointed thorn that seem to come from nowhere around here.  It popped the tire.  I couldn't run with her.

When that discovery was made, I put the jogger back in the trunk.  I was about to just call it a night.  My husband told me I should at least do something.  He said that he would keep an eye on her so I could get in a run.  I figured that I might as well, since I was there.

Tonight's run was a tempo run with a one mile warm up in the beginning and a one mile cool down in the end.  The middle three miles were at a faster speed.  I figured I would see how much of it I could get done before I was needed. 

I was able to get in the complete five miles.  I wish I had timed it, but I did get it all in.  My children, including my toddler, enjoyed time on the playground with my husband.  I was glad that I was able to get it done, since I have to do a two mile run tomorrow.  I would have combined the two miles with whatever I didn't do tonight. 

The weather is so incredibly hot.  It is horrible needing to wait practically until dusk to head out for a run.  I hate running in the dark.  Saturday it is supposed to be 100 degrees and I am supposed to run 8 miles.  It should be a very interesting run! 

No comments:

Post a Comment