Monday, July 8, 2013

Why Do Some People Open There Mouths?

I was on vacation from June 28 until yesterday, July 7.  It was a wonderful time, I spent time in Reno and Topaz Lake, NV and Bridgeport, CA.  I had to get in my runs, whether I wanted to or not.  I guess I should say, if there was time or not.  I would say that I was going to run several times and just keep putting it off.  Finally, I would say I would do it in the morning, which I did.  The daylight temps were above 100, so I knew I would have to do it early in the morning or at sunset.

Tuesday morning, July 2, I got up and got dressed.  I had told my husband that I had to do four miles that day.  He told me to do it in the fitness area, on the treadmill.  My complete training for a half-marathon was done on a treadmill.  I went down to the fitness area, found a treadmill and jumped on.  I started running.  Within a couple minutes, I determined that it was near impossible to breathe.  I don't know if the air just wasn't circulating or what the problem was, but I knew I wouldn't be able to complete a full four miles, if I could hardly breathe after 1/4 mile.

I got off the treadmill and went outside to run.  It was already near 90 degrees at a little after 8 am.  I had on my running shorts and running shirt.  I was trying to stay in as much shade as I possibly could, running near the casinos. 

I had some neutral comments like, "You sure are dedicated to be running in this heat."

One man, on a side street, beside a casino, was rolling a joint or a cigarette.  I didn't stop to really figure it out.  He was older, mid 50s to 60s.  He was the one that should keep his mouth shut.  I was just trying to stay in the shade, not looking for any comments.  I had already run about three miles in the stifling heat, I was very sweaty.  When, lo and behold, he thought he should open his big mouth.  The following words spilled out.

"Oh, you're trying to get skinny.  I don't like skinny girls."

As you can imagine, if you know me, a million comebacks came flooding to rail my tongue.  Then I thought it would be wise not to use any of them on a stranger on a side road in a town I don't really know.  So, I said, "No, I'm just training for a half-marathon."  To which was the ever intelligent reply of "Ohhhhhh...."

I then got back to the main road and just ran back to the hotel and ran around the block there a few times until my four miles were complete.

I was proud of myself for completing the run.  It is difficult to run on vacation.  The food, which I refer to as vacation food, is devastating to trying to get in/stay in shape. 

I had to run on Wednesday, July 3, as well.  By this time, we had left Reno and headed up to Topaz Lake.  It is a beautiful area.  That day I had eaten some Costco food... a hotdog, churro and some of a chocolate and almond covered ice cream bar.  Then when we got to our hotel, we had a hotdog barbecue.  I was kind of hotdog-ged out.  I figured since it was dinner time, I should probably eat.  Then I had to go for a run.  It kept threatening to rain for a couple of hours.  I kept waiting, hoping it would just do it.  It would sprinkle off and on, thunder off and on, but no real rain.  I was hoping it would rain to cool stuff off.  At about 7:15 pm, I figured if it was going to rain, I would just have to get rained on while running.  I ran down to the lake where I found "NO TRESPASSING" signs.  I thought I should heed the signs and turn around.  I ran back to another road and found one that ran along the lake. 

It was a beautiful run.  At one point, I found a trail that brought me right next to the lake.  I took that trail for a little bit and then it ended.  I then turned around and went back to the road.  I ran along the road for a while longer.  There were many blind curves, and I started to feel like I could be pressing my luck.  I turned around and ran back.  I enjoyed that run a lot.  It is wonderful to find beautiful places to run. 

I planned to do a 5 mile-run at the Twin Lakes on Friday, but my quad was bothering me.  I thought I would be wise to let that heal for a bit.  I should get in my run later this evening.  I am a day off right now, but I think that will be okay.  On Friday, I ended up playing mud volleyball with my cousin, his wife and daughter, my sister-in-law and a good friend of our family.  It was a tournament, we ended up getting 5th out of 19 teams.  It was a lot of fun.

1 comment:

  1. I keep saying I am going to run, it's been over a month. With the move and a few other things, it just seems near impossible to work up the energy. I got brave and stepped on the scale, only up 8 pounds. I can lose it! I miss you.

    Some people really should keep their traps shut!