Sunday, July 14, 2013

Running In Circles

I have been training almost exclusively at a park in my town.  It consists of a 2/3 mile loop, a 1/2 mile loop (or 1/3 mile depending if you run from the opposite direction, apparently), and a 1/4 mile loop.

It is fine when I don't have to run more than 4 or 5 miles.  Today was a six mile day.  I started out at the park, but I couldn't imagine running nine times around to get in the 6 miles.  After I ran about 1/2 mile around, I decided to leave the park and jump on the trail.

I ran north for a long ways.  I figured it was close to three miles after checking my fitbit zip.  I then turned around and ran back to the park.  I had left my husband and three older children at the park to play.  I ran with my toddler in the jogger.

I have a hard time convincing myself to run in circles.  The view just stays the same.  I think my toddler gets bored too.  She can only stand it for so long.  I think it is also hard for her to see her siblings playing on the playground, while she just gets to sit in the stroller.  Every time we run passed them, she yells their names, as well as she can.  My oldest son will run over and give us a kiss on our way passed. 

I was thankful that my husband came for this run tonight.  If he wasn't there, I wouldn't have gone to the trail.  I wouldn't leave the kids at the park without an adult.  I would suffer through the laps.  It seems that the run on the trail went quicker.  Perhaps it is because I wasn't seeing the same view.  I don't know for sure how long it took.  My husband lost my watch while we were on vacation.  I need to get a new one.  Until then, I will just run and not worry about the time.

On tonight's run, I saw one of my visiting teachers, and her husband.  It is nice to see people I know as I run.  There were several bikers out tonight.  It was cooler tonight than it has been lately.  I saw an abandoned bike.  My toddler spotted the moon.  She loves the moon.  She also saw several birds.  She will say hi to them until they fly away, then she will say bye.

I am glad I went for this run tonight.  I didn't really want to, but I figured that I should.  I have about 1 1/2 months until my half-marathon, so I need to be ready!

1 comment:

  1. I think it is awesome that the toddler is so polite to birds. Congrats on getting in such long runs!

    ReplyDelete