Thursday, August 8, 2013

Switching It Up

I was supposed to run five miles last night and two miles tonight.  Instead, I went and visited some good friends with my family.  I enjoyed my visit with them a lot.  It had been too long since we had seen them. 

I decided, since it was getting dark, that I would do the two mile run last night and the five mile run tonight.  My kids, my husband and I, went to the Park.  They were doing their training for the 5K, along with my brother-in-law.  I had planned to run five miles, even after arriving at the park.  As the winds picked up, and it got darker by the minute, I decided that two miles would do.

When I finished my run and caught up with everyone else, my brother-in-law asked me, I'm sure sarcastically, if I had finished my five miles.  It made me laugh.  I told him I would do my five miles tomorrow.  If I had finished five miles in 22 minutes, it would mean I was dead, and it was my spirit cruising around the park.

I decided that I would run today as soon as my husband got home from work.  I have developed insomnia (self-diagnosed) since I have been waiting to run until it cools off.  I think my body needs a nice long time to wind down after a run.  I figured that I would get it done early and see how I sleep tonight.  It is kind of important to get a good night sleep with four little ones running around the house.

I jumped on the trail and off I went.  The crossroads are every 1/2 mile.  It makes it easy to know how far I have run.  The bad part is needing to cross the roads.  Sometimes people are really nice and stop their car so you can run. let you go.  Other times, not so much.  It just depends on the person.  I am always one of the people that will stop so a runner can go, probably because I know how it is to just stand there wondering when it will be my turn.

Tonight's run was quite profitable.  While I was running, I found a five dollar bill.  Since it was pretty much in the middle of nowhere, there wasn't anyone to ask if it was theirs.  I always try to find the person that lost it, if in a store, I turn it in to customer service, if in a school, I turn it into the office.  There is just nowhere to turn it into, so I kept it. 

I saw a hawk grab a little rodent.  It was a gray rodent.  Since I never see squirrels around here, I assume it was a rat, because it was bigger than a mouse.  It landed in a tree about 30 miles ahead of me.  I was not amused.  I have a vivid imagination, such as, what if it thinks I will try to grab its food and decides to attack me with its massive claws?  What if it drops the thing on me?  Neither one sounded horribly appealing.   When I got pretty close, the hawk did drop the food.  I ran even faster.  I didn't know if the rodent was still alive or dead, but I didn't want to get chased by an injured rodent.

My run tonight was just seconds over an hour, including all the stops, needing to wait for my turn to cross the street.  My next run is Saturday.  I will have to get to it early, since my sisters will be arriving in early afternoon :)  I am really excited to see them!

No comments:

Post a Comment