Saturday, August 31, 2013

My Layton Half-Marathon was Today... What a Learning Experience it was!

I will begin with last night.  I knew that I was going to have to get up early this morning...4:30 AM to be exact.  I got everything I needed together.  I put all my clothes out: compression shorts (to prevent the chafing, mostly), running shorts with pockets, sports bra, running socks, running shoes and technical t-shirt.  I got my water bottles for my FuelBelt filled up, my daughter put those in the refrigerator after screwing on the lids.  I was set for the early wake-up!

I didn't fall to sleep until after midnight.  NERVES!  I always suffer from them the night before.  It is too bad I can't bank sleep for nights like that!  The alarm went off much sooner than I would have liked it to.  My husband alerted me and I jumped out of bed.

I came downstairs and put on all the clothes that I had ready.  I went back upstairs and found some deodorant to put on.  I had thought I put that with everything else I would need in the morning.  It is one thing I never want to forget on a normal day, let alone on a day when I would be doing a crazy amount of exercise.

I poured myself a bowl of Golden Grahams.  I ate those.  I grabbed my water out of the refrigerator, put it in the FuelBelt.  Got my license and $20 and put it in my FuelBelt just in case I might need either of them.  I grabbed the car keys and out the door I went.  It was about 5 AM.

By the time I got to where the buses were to be loading it was 5:15 AM.  We had received notice that the buses would be loading between 5 and 6 AM.  The last bus would leave promptly at 6 AM, not 6:01 AM, so don't be late!  I didn't want to be late, so I got there in plenty of time.  Then I waited, and waited, and waited.  Along with many other people.  The buses arrived about 6:15 AM.  I was lucky enough to get on the first two buses so I didn't have to wait any longer.

We arrived at the starting point around 6:45 AM, our race was supposed to start at 7 AM.  Due to the fact that the other two buses got lost on their way back to the pickup point for everyone else, the race was delayed until 7:20 AM.  By this point, the sun was over the mountains and directly in front of us.  It was already warm.  The low for today was 70 and the high was in the 90s.  I think it was in the high 70s by the time we started.  By the time I finished, I would say it was near, if not in, the 90s.

I had planned to break my previous half-marathon time.  That time was in October 2009.  It was 2:33:55.  A few things I learned today... a forty degree difference is huge!  When I started the half-marathon in 2009, there were a few snowflakes falling.  I was in a pair of running capris and two long-sleeved running shirts, just to stay warm.  I took one of them off and wrapped it around my waist on that run.

Today, I was in as little clothing as possible and it still wasn't cool enough!  I would not ever run in just my sports bra, but I seriously wished that I would today.  It would have been really nice if I had a great sports bra in my swimsuit, because I think I would have worn that today to run in (just kidding, kind of!).  Forty degrees is huge, I think it i was the difference between cramping up and not cramping up.  I didn't cramp at all during the race in 2009, I was cramping by the time I got to mile marker 6 today.

I have run marathons in the past, and never started cramping up until mile marker 16 and 18.  Those were in Sept 2010 and Nov 2010.  I learned today that I will never attempt anything longer than a 10K between the months of May and August.  I can't begin to tell you how hot it was.  High 80s, low 90s is hot enough when I am not doing anything, but when I add running to the mix, it is a whole new beast.

I knew I had to listen to my body today.  As much as I wanted to run the whole way, there was just no way I could do it.  I think that I might have been found passed out or dead next to the road if I had tried to.  The walking began when the cramping began.  I would run and walk after that, as necessary.  It was more walking than running.  Last week, after the 10 mile run, I was sure I had this without any problem.  I am a novice when it comes to the heat.  I always tried to beat the heat for the long runs.  Perhaps I should have done the runs at the hottest time available?

I finished in around three hours.  I am not sure of the official time yet.  I guess that will be posted as late as Monday.  Although I came nowhere close to breaking my PR for the half-marathon, I am happy that I finished on my own two legs.  When I crossed the finish line, I heard the director discussing that they were waiting for an ambulance.  A woman, who looked like she is in her 20s, was wheeled off on a gurney by the ambulance.  She looked very pale and not to be doing very well, her eyes were closed.  I said a prayer for her and hope that everything ends up okay for her.

I am always thankful for the volunteers who take time out of their day to come out and give us fuel and encouragement.  I try to let them know how much it is appreciated, because without them, I don't know that this would be possible.

I am thankful for a body that I am able to get out and run with.  I know that it is a blessing, although it doesn't always feel like it, to be able to exercise.  There are many people that physically cannot run, be it a short or a long distance.  I never take my privilege to run for granted.  There are many times that I wish I could run faster, but I am thankful that I am able to exercise.  I hope to be able to continue to run and get better at it.

August 31, 2013... Layton Half Marathon

 My husband got lost on his way to the finish line.  I am glad I didn't!  He was in a car, so I don't feel horribly bad for him :)  My husband and children were not there when I crossed the finish line.  I think this is the first longer race I have finished where I didn't have a family member there to cheer me on at the end.  It was kind of sad to not see them there, but it is understandable.  I drank some Powerade and water and had an orange slice and a Fatboy ice cream sandwich while I waited.

Fatboy Ice Cream Sandwiches

When they got there, we took some pictures and then went to the Hibachi Buffet for lunch. I had some sushi, salad and sweet and sour chicken.  I then came home, took a cold bath, and then took a nap.  I look forward to another half-marathon, but it will not be done in the heat of the summer!

My children and I at the finish line


  1. Life is either a great adventure or nothing. - Helen Keller! You are amazing.

    1. I will prefer the great adventure! Life is what you make of it,right?

  2. I am so proud of you big sis!! I am thankful you listened to your body and walked. Love you!

    1. I knew I had to walk, no one wants to find a dead body anywhere, and I didn't want to die during a race. That would be embarrassing! I love you!